Knowledge Quest (K.Q.) began operations in 1998, as a 501(c) (3) non-profit organization. Knowledge Quest serves as a community social change agent, primarily in the 38126 and 38106 zip codes of Memphis, Tennessee. Located at 590 Jennette Place, Memphis, Tennessee 38106, Knowledge Quest is in a community with local historical significance. It began with the premise of youth development and evolved into an organization that builds stronger communities by “building” the people within the community. Our initial target group was youth. The matters of healthy young people, healthy communities, healthy families, and a healthy society are all bound together. Knowledge Quest is designed to be the “tie” that binds. K.Q. is a true community center that is sensitive and responsive to the needs of an increasingly diverse population. Our Center connects disparate sectors of our community including businesses, churches, schools, and households.
Knowledge Quest, as an agency, was the product of a grassroots effort formed to meet community needs. Out of the myriad of opportunities and an even greater number of challenges, all agreed that our children were priority. The 38126 and 38106 zip code areas make up some of the City of Memphis’ highest rates in poverty, school drop-out, substance abuse and teenage pregnancy, coupled with the gang activity and youth violence. These realities all served to support the community’s decision to embrace the further development of Knowledge Quest.
- Knowledge: We acquire and share information that induces scholarship that leads to understanding and application.
- Passion: Through relentless efforts and sensitivity, we enthusiastically pursue our quest to promote vibrant communities.
- Excellence: We challenge mediocrity and promote the extraordinary.
- Moral Integrity: We conduct our business affairs in a knowledge-driven, ethical and financially prudent manner.
- Innovation: As trailblazers, we introduce cutting-edge approaches for community building.
- Collaboration: We do our utmost to tap the wisdom, synergy and power of partnerships.
- Advocacy: We champion causes to advance our community.
Who We Are
Founder & Executive Director
Marlon Foster, Knowledge Quest’s Executive Director, founded the organization in 1995 right out of college, with its official opening in 1998. Mr. Foster holds a Bachelor’s Degree from Lemoyne-Owen College and a Master’s of Divinity Degree from Memphis Theological Seminary. He has performed nonprofit administration and fundraising duties in a professional capacity for over thirteen years. As a result of the death of his 18 year-old childhood best friend due to street violence, he abandoned corporate aspirations and invested himself in the development of inner city youth within the neighborhood of his youth—the neighborhood he continues to live, work and worship within.